Transferred To Shriner's Hospital In Cincinnati
David "D.J." Brown is being called a hero by his neighbors who say he saved his family from a house fire.
However, the family of three is without a home for the holidays and David is hospitalized.
Hurricane, Culloden, and Teays Valley Volunteer Firefighters responded to a blaze on Carolyn Circle at 9:59 a.m., Friday, December 17th, 2010, according to HVF&R Assistant Chief Deron Wilkes. They were able to keep the fire from spreading to nearby homes.
David, 15, was first transported to Cabell-Huntington Hospital with serious burns. Another burn victim was treated at the scene and released. His mother was able to jump out of a window and drop 20 feet to safety. Later, David was transferred to Shriner's Hospital, in Cincinnati where he is listed in critical condition.
Hurricane Police also assisted in the efforts and closed the street while firefighters extinguished the flames.
The blaze is under investigation by the West Virginia Fire Marshal but is not believed to be of suspicious origin, according to Wilkes. A neighbor says D.J. reported that a kerosene heater started the inferno.
Damage amounts have not been released but the home is apparently a total loss.
Lieutenant Kyle Slate, of the Hurricane Volunteer Fire and Rescue Department, says road conditions made getting to the fire a challenge.
GO GREEN: PutnamLIVE.com is only available online. We do not publish a paper edition in order to protect the environment. Please do not print this article unless it is necessary!
Each Amazon.com purchase
Now Open In Cross Lanes
And In Milton!!!!!